Wednesday, February 23, 2011

2/21

Dear Governor Nathan Deal,

I understand that the state is running out of money but I believe education is very important for the future economy in Georgia. The new Hope Scholarship proposal is ridiculous! I mean you could have cut fundings for other things rather than increasing limits on the GPA qualifications for HOPE. The HOPE scholarship is what made students who couldn't afford to go to college attend college for the first time. Without it, I doubt that Georgia can retain at least seventy percent of the current student population. Imagine how devastating this would have an effect on Georgia's education and the graduation rates will drop off a cliff. The 10% that students require to pay may not seem alot but add on books, mandatory fees, and food is alot. I hope you understand where I'm coming from as a GSU Freshmen. I look forward to graduating here in Georgia but if this bill pass, many students including me would rather move out of state for school.

Sincerely,

Andy Nguyen
_________________________________________________

What can we do?

Students are now protesting about these changes. As students, we understand the economic standpoint on this controversial issue, but education is first. There are protests and marches on March 7th and 8th at the State Capitol. Send a letter to our senators and demand change!

No comments:

Post a Comment